- How do I get a recycling container? Click HERE for the “member communities” page and click on your location for information on how obtain an Area Recyclers bin.
- How do I know when my recycling will be collected? Click HERE to be directed to the collection calendar page.
- What materials can I recycle? Area Recyclers accepts #1 and #2 plastic containers, glass (no windshields or laminated glass, all other forms are accepted), metal cans, paper (including magazines, newspapers, envelopes, catalogs, office paper), and corrugated cardboard (no cereal boxes or pop/beer boxes, please).
- Does it cost me anything to recycle? The only thing you pay for to recycle is the purchase of your green Area Recyclers bin. There is no additional fee beyond your normal garbage fee. There is no charge to recycle at any of the drop off locations in Des Moines County or to bring items directly to Area Recyclers.
- What is the HazChem Center? The HazChem Center is your source for safe disposal of household hazardous waste such as oil based paints/stains, auto and yard chemicals, household cleaning supplies, and other hazardous chemicals. For a complete listing of items that should be disposed of at the HazChem Center, Click HERE. Items are accepted at the HazChem Center by appointment only. Call 1-877-HAZCHEM (429-2436) for an appointment.
- What is the “Swap Shop”? The Swap Shop is located inside the HazChem Center and contains items that have been taken to the HazChem Center for disposal but are still useable. These items may include automotive wax, oil paint, spray paint, and household cleaners. For more information about the Swap Shop, Click HERE.
- How do I dispose of old oil or gas? These items need to be disposed of at the HazChem Center by appointment only. Appointments may be made by calling 1-877-HAZCHEM (429-2436).
- How do I dispose of latex paint? Latex paint is water based and thus will dry out over time. Please leave the lid off of your paint, you may stir in kitty litter or oil dry to expedite the drying process. Once the paint is dry it may be disposed of with your regular trash. The HazChem Center does not accept latex paint.
- How do I dispose of oil or acrylic paint? Oil based and acrylic paint is accepted at the HazChem Center and should not be disposed of with your trash. Please call 1-877-HAZCHEM for a disposal appointment.
- What are the business hours for the recycling center, landfill, and HazChem Center? Area Recyclers is open M-F 7:30am-4:00pm. Appliances are accepted M-S 8am-11:30am for a $10 fee per appliance. There is a 24 hour drop off for recyclables located in the Area Recyclers parking lot. The DMC Regional Landfill is open M-F 8:00am-4:00pm and Saturdays 8am-Noon. The HazChem Center is open for disposal of materials by appointment only.
- How do I get to the landfill, HazChem Center, or recycling center? The DMC Regional Landfill is located just off Washington Road northwest of West Burlington, IA. The HazChem Center is located inside the DMC Regional Landfill. Area Recyclers is located at 1818 W. Burlington Ave., Burlington. For specific driving directions, please visit the DMC Regional Landfill page HERE, or visit the Area Recyclers page HERE.
- How much does it cost to dispose of items at the landfill? There is a $5 minimum fee for disposal of trash (up to 300 pounds) at the landfill. The tipping fee for regular trash is $32/ton. For information about other rates, please click HERE.
- Where do I take my bottles or cans to get my deposit back? Aluminum and plastic (#1) beverage bottles may be recycled at Area Recyclers, but we are not a redemption center. To receive your deposit refund in the Burlington area, please visit Hope Haven Area Development Center, Wal-Mart, most convenience stores, or one of the Southeast Iowa Redemption Center locations. Outside of Burlington, most major retailers will refund your deposit.
- How do I dispose of an appliance? Appliances are accepted at Area Recyclers Monday-Saturday from 8:00am-11:30am. There is a $10 fee per appliance.
- Where can I take an old LP tank from a gas grill? Small LP tanks from gas grills may be brought to Area Recyclers during regular business hours for free disposal.
- Does my city pick up appliances? Some cities will pick up appliances by appointment or have a drop off location for them. Please check with your local city hall or city sanitation department for details.
- Where can I dispose of tree trimmings? Tree trimmings smaller than 8” in diameter may be disposed of at the DMC Regional Landfill at a fee of $24/ton. (Burlington residents who bring a current water bill will have this fee waived).
- Where can I dispose of grass clippings and leaves? Grass clippings and leaves may be disposed of free of charge at the DMC Regional Landfill.
- Do you accept glass? Most all glass (except laminated glass) is accepted free for recycling. Large quantities of glass may be disposed of free at the DMC Regional Landfill. For specific glass recycling questions, please contact Area Recyclers at 319-753-8126 or toll free 800-216-8126.
- Where are the rural drop off locations for recyclables? There are nine drop off locations- Area Recyclers, Bennett & Roth Trucking on Madison Avenue (Burlington), Hagerla’s Trading Post on Beaverdale Rd (West Burlington), the Danville Fire Station, the Secondary Road Shop at Pleasant Grove and at Yarmouth, in Mediapolis behind the Conoco station, Kingston at the Co-Op, Sperry, and at the Flint Hills Golf Course.
- Do you give tours or presentations about your programs? Tours, community or club presentations, and class room activities, are available for any of the programs of the DMC Regional Waste Commission. To schedule a tour, presentation, or class room activity about Area Recyclers or the DMC Regional Landfill, contact Darven Kendell, Education Coordinator, at (319) 753-8126 or via email at email@example.com. To schedule for the HazChem Center, contact Elyn Holton-Dean at 1-877-429-2436 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What do I do with old fire extinguishers or those little Coleman fuel cylinders? Old fire extinguishers may be taken to ABC Fire Extinguishers at 112 Broadway, West Burlington. Empty Coleman fuel type cylinders may be disposed of with your regular trash.
- Who do I contact if I have a suggestion? Suggestions, comments, and other feedback are always appreciated. Please direct them to Hal Morton, Executive Director of the DMC Regional Waste Commission, at (319) 753-8126 or via email at email@example.com. Comments and suggestions may also be directed to your community’s commission representative(s). Please click HERE to find out who your commission representative is.
- What is this Recycled 2 You store I have heard about? Recycled 2 You is located inside of Area Recyclers. It is a gift shop which contains new merchandise made entirely of recycled or reused materials. Please click HERE to learn more about Recycled 2 You.
- 3 reasons you may not have had your recycling collected? 3 most common reasons- 1) did not use at least one green “Area Recyclers” bin 2) recycling not sorted 3) bin not set out by 7:30am.
- How or where do I rent a garbage dumpster? Garbage dumpsters for rent are not available from the DMC Regional Waste Commission. Please contact your local trash hauler or check the yellow page listings under Garbage Hauling/Removal.
- Can I get a part for my stove or refrigerator since you accept them? Sorry, once an appliance is accepted at Area Recyclers, insurance and safety regulations prohibit any part of that appliance from being taken for use in another appliance.
- Why do you only accept #1 and #2 plastic? Simply put, #1 and #2 plastics are the most commonly recycled plastics (therefore the easiest to sell) and also the most readily re-used in making other items. All items collected at Area Recyclers are sold for recycling and must be stored until a sufficient quantity is collected for sale which presents a storage space issue. With limited storage capability, we feel it is best to collect only the most common items which are the easiest to sell.
- What is considered “corrugated cardboard”? Corrugated cardboard is typically thick with two layers and sandwiched in the middle is a layer of “squiggly” lines. Click HERE for a photo example of corrugated cardboard. Cereal boxes are not corrugated, neither is pop and beer cases, and thus they are not accepted for recycling at Area Recyclers.
- What do you do with the materials you collect at Area Recyclers? Items collected for recycling at Area Recyclers are generally sold to recycling brokers who in turn will sell them to end users. No materials that we collect for recycling are disposed of in a landfill.
- How do I dispose of tires or batteries? Tires, even though they are recycled, need to be disposed of at the DMC Regional Landfill. The disposal fee varies, click HERE for details or call the landfill at 753-8126. Battery disposal depends upon the type of battery. Car batteries go to the DMC Regional Landfill (they are recycled) and cost $2 for disposal. Rechargeable batteries, hearing aide, and button type batteries may be taken to the HazChem Center (click HERE for a battery fact sheet) for disposal by appointment (877-HAZ-CHEM). Household alkaline or regular duty batteries may be disposed of with your regular trash.
- Is there a place at the landfill for me to safely dispose of my own garbage? If you wish to self haul your trash to the landfill, there is a paved road to the public drop off area where you will find containers labeled for demolition, trash, tires, and yard waste. Compost and woodchips (when available) are also located at the public drop off site.
- How can my business recycle? Area Recyclers does not collect items from businesses. All businesses are encouraged to bring items to Area Recyclers where they may use our convenient inside unloading area during normal business hours. Many businesses find this to be a convenient and economical option. Click HERE to see the inside unloading area. Businesses wishing to recycle larger quantities of paper or cardboard may wish to contact City Carton Recycling in Mt. Pleasant at 385-7206. To learn more about developing or enhancing a business recycling program, contact Darven Kendell, Education Coordinator for the DMC Regional Waste Commission at (319) 753-8126 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I get rid of an old TV, computer, or computer accessory? Residents may dispose of TV’s and computers at the DMC Regional Landfill. Area Recyclers does not accept computers, monitors, or other computer equipment. Businesses are reminded that the EPA prohibits businesses from disposing color CRT’s in a landfill. Businesses should contact ATEC recycling at 1-800-551-4912, Budget Lighting at 319-752-1397, Drake Hardware & Software at 319-752-1155, or Midwest Electronic Recovery at 319-845-2001 for information about disposing of color CRT’s. Residents wishing to recycle computer monitors or computer equipment should contact Drake Hardware & Software at 319-752-1155 or Budget Lighting at 319-752-1397 for information and fee information.
- Do you shred paper at Area Recyclers or how can I dispose of shredded paper? Shredded paper is accepted for recycling at Area Recyclers. Please place shredded paper in bags and place inside the paper bin. Area Recyclers does not shred paper. Please contact Hope Haven Development Center at 319-754-4689 or Document Destruction & Recycling Services at 800-798-4778 for information about secure document shredding and disposal.